Wednesday, July 27, 2011

FranceTop Five: #1 Versailles Palace

Coming in at # 1, Versailles Palace went beyond my wildest dreams. No picture, description, or person ,for that matter, could have ever prepared me for the majesty of this place. Almost every square inch inside this palace is adorned with the finest materials and architecture. While the Hall of Mirrors boasts much historical fame, I found our behind the scenes tour to be just as intriguing. Through a pre-booked arrangement, we were able to see the King’s Private Apartment (belonging to King Louis XVI , I believe). It was as if another world existed behind the walls of Versailles. King Louis XVI’s office, desk, documents, dining room, and bedroom were available for us to view. The palace itself is grand, however the most elusive part of Versailles Palace were the gardens. They were simply magnificent. At one point, I recall stopping in my tracks to allow my eyes ample time to soak in all that surrounded me. From the labyrinth of grass to the beautiful lake spreading across land that seemed never-ending, I immediately fell in love with the gardens of Versailles Palace. A short twenty minute walk, or hike, took us to Marie Antoinette’s Hamlet. The Hamlet was built to allow Marie Antoinette more privacy while living in Versailles. Upon entering the grounds of the Hamlet, I was so intrigued and a bit taken aback. It was as if I had entered another world. The not-so-small Hamlet was a beautiful, rustic, flower-covered cottage. It seemed like the perfect place for Marie Antoinette to have quiet time.


It still seems unbelievable to have seen such profound relics and wonders of the world. Although I am not an Art major, this experience has led me to a greater appreciation of art in every form. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to see, smell, taste, hear, and feel new traditions and ways of life of the European culture. We lived more in two weeks than most people do in their lifetime. I will never forget how France and London impacted me as an individual and changed my life forever.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment